17 OF THE COOLEST HATS AROUND, WHATEVER THE WEATHER
Whether you’re lamenting the loss of summer, trying to tame your mane in frizz-inducing drizzle, or simply looking to jazz up your trans-seasonal style, there’s never been a better time to invest in a stylish hat.
This article was originally published on Refinery29.com.
1. Every girl needs a floppy hat with a brim just wide enough to hang jauntily over sleep-deprived eyes, if need be. We’ve found the one at American Apparel. It comes in all the colours of the rainbow, but we’re partial to this scarlet-hued beauty – perfect with matching lipstick and a ‘70s-style, camel coat.
Baron Hats Wool Floppy Hat, £49, available at American Apparel.
2. What can we say? We have a weakness for hats with ears. This signature Eugenia Kim beanie features two artfully placed pom-poms for double the hat-wearing fun. Let this quirky topper add a playful twist to all-black ensembles.
Eugenia Kim Mimi Fur Pom-Pom Beanie Hat, £180, available at Matches Fashion.
3. No winter wardrobe is complete without a classic wool fedora. This French Connection style will complement everything from leather jackets and jeans, to boyfriend-style pea coats, tweed skirts, and over-the-knee boots. We love.
French Connection Lisa Wool Fedora Hat, £45, available at French Connection.
4. We’ve always been partial to a trapper hat – blame it on a childhood obsession with Sherlock Holmes – so we’re pretty chuffed that Queen of Headwear Eugenia Kim gave it her stamp of approval. The Leigh trapper comes from the designer’s diffusion line and looks seriously cool when worn with slouchy, cashmere sweaters, leather skinnies and block-heel ankle boots.
Genie Green Leigh Printed Trapper Hat, £70, available at Liberty.
5. Graphic prints are big – literally – right now so embrace the trend with Joseph’s seriously chic beanie. Crafted from mohair, it ticks two major trend boxes and will keep you super snug. Offset with the matching jumper for extra style points.
Joseph Mohair Intarsia Hat, £85, available at Joseph.
6. Magpies and sequin enthusiasts alike will love Madeleine Thompson’s aptly named Disco Beanie. Putting a generous helping of disco into daytime dressing, this sparkly little guy will add shine to a classic combination of boyfriend coat, skinny jeans, and boots on even the dreariest of days.
Madeleine Thompson Disco Beanie, £125, available at Gift-Library.
7. Like you needed an excuse to wear cat ears on the morning commute. If you did, this is it. Monki’s cute cap pays feline homage to Maison Michel and Eugenia Kim – but with a more palatable price tag. Bravo. Or should we say, meow.
Monki Kitti Hat, £15, available at Monki.
8. If you hadn’t noticed, the baseball cap is having a renaissance. This season, choose yours in a luxe incarnation – this black pony style by Neil Barrett will top off sportswear-inspired looks (think suede high tops and cashmere jogging bottoms) in the sleekest way.
Neil Barrett Black Pony Baseball Cap, £265, available at My-Wardrobe.
9. There’s something about a peaked cap that feels so wonderfully fresh for the new season. This Reiss style looks great with a polo neck and belted coat in similarly muted hues. Tie hair at the nape of the neck for added polish.
Reiss Mollie Felt Peak Cap, £55, available at Reiss.
10. The blinged-up hat – big for this season and a welcome wardrobe addition for those who like their knits with a touch of sparkle. As far as embellished beanies go, this River Island gem is our favourite, especially when worn with chunky cable knit jumpers, mohair skirts, and woollen tights.
River Island Cream Jewel-Embellished Beanie Hat, £18, available at River Island.
11. We couldn’t round up the world wide web’s best hats without including a bit of Fair Isle. This festive topper from Topshop will lend cheer to even the most unkempt of bad hair days. Offset with a slouchy sweater, shearling jacket, and mittens – no fuss, minimal muss.
Topshop Scandi Fairisle Beanie, £14, available at Topshop.
12. Never underestimate the power of a bowler hat to add punch to an otherwise girly ensemble. We love this navy style from Urban Outfitters – wear on the crown of your head with centre parted hair and a Peter Pan-collared dress.
Urban Outfitters Simple Bowler Hat in Navy, £24, available at Urban Outfitters.
13. Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’d know that pink is the colour of the season. While it shows no sign of waning, why not invest in this lovely powder pink beanie from expert knitters, Wool and the Gang? It’ll look great with grey marl sweatshirts and matching pink separates.
Wool And The Gang Wellington Hat, £45, available at Wool and the Gang.
14. Behold, the disco turban. Zara has done us proud with their take on this Studio 54 essential. Crafted from a chunky knit adorned with glittering beads, it’s the perfect way to glam up your daily tube journey. Keep other adornments to a minimum – the disco turban calls for a pared-back outfit and few accessories.
Zara Knit Turban, £25.99, available at Zara.
15. We love the clash of colours on this Mango fedora. The orange of the velvet ribbon just looks the business on this classic fedora style.
Mango Velvet Ribbon Felt Fedora, £29.99, available at Mango.
16. We're not waiting for our next ski trip to start wearing this day-glo topper.
Marc By Marc Jacobs Pink And Yellow Logo Ski Hat, £65, available at Liberty.
17. This Cossack-style hat gives a touch of Dr. Zhivago glamour to our everyday ensemble.
Oasis Faux Fur Cossack Hat, £20, available at Oasis.